Get Fit like the ObamasBeing busy is no excuse to skip exercise, says President Obama's personal trainer Cornell McClellan.
In a CNN article, he asserts that people can make time in their lives for exercise, as long as they have the right mindset and make it a priority. Prior to becoming First Lady, Michelle Obama exercised at McClellan's gym as early as 4:45 a.m.
Rather than taking away from your busy schedule, the health and stress benefits of exercise enable you to maintain your lifestyle, he says.
Eat Out Without Growing Your WaistlineEating out can result in extra calories – and weight gain – but healthy choices can keep unwanted pounds at bay. An MSN article suggests:
- Choosing grilled foods, not fried
- Saying "no" to extras like cheese, mayonnaise, and salad dressings
- Ordering smaller portion sizes (which is often cheaper, as well)
- Avoiding sugary drinks
- Saving half for later
Is a Vegan Diet Right for You?Vegan diets are growing in popularity, and nutritionists say that for some people, they may be the healthiest way to live, with proper planning.
Vegan diets are plant-based and exclude all animal products, even items like milk, cheese and eggs that are allowed in some forms of vegetarian diets.
According to a CNN article, people who adopt vegan diets enjoy:
- Lower cholesterol
- Lower blood pressure
- Healthier BMI (Body Mass Index)
- Decreased risk for heart disease and cancer
- Better control and prevention of diabetes
Strategies to Quit SmokingQuitting smoking is no easy task; it often takes multiple tries before the resolution sticks. To be as successful as possible, the American Lung Association recommends:
- picking your quit day a few weeks advance and mark it on the calendar; choose a day when you won't be under a great deal of stress
- exercising daily to improve your energy levels and mood
- eating a balanced diet, drinking plenty of water and getting enough sleep
- asking your family, friends and co-workers for support
- joining a stop-smoking program so that you don't have to quit alone