Yoga is also a weight loss tool and a therapeutic aide that can assist with carpal tunnel syndrome, arthritis, and heart disease prevention, according to Dr. Tim McCall, author of Yoga as Medicine.
You can learn yoga by following along with an exercise video or online course, but there's no substitute for face-to-face instruction.
Performing a pose incorrectly or pushing your body into advanced poses before its ready can cause injury. A yoga instructor can advise you on your technique to ensure that you're exercise routine is as safe and effective as possible.
Yoga Studios in Western New YorkYoga studios that offer programs tailored to beginners include:
Cost: 2 week unlimited pass - $40 (new students), Single class - $15
- Intro to Yoga - Thursday: 7:30 p.m.
Cost: 1 week unlimited pass (new students) - $25, Single class - $18, Intro to Yoga (1x week for 6 weeks) - $70, Intro to Yoga (2x week for 6 weeks) - $130
- Intro to Yoga - Monday: 7:45 p.m., Thursday: 6 p.m., Sunday: 12 p.m. (Buffalo)
- Intro to Yoga - Monday: 7:30 p.m. (Amherst)
Cost: Single class - $15
- Beginner’s Vinyasa - Tuesday: 8 p.m., Saturday: 11:30 a.m.
Cost: 6 weeks, $60 (Kenmore), 7 weeks, $70 (Buffalo)
- Beginner’s Yoga - Monday: 6 p.m., Wednesday: 6 p.m. (Kenmore)
- Beginner’s Yoga - Monday: 6:15 p.m., Saturday: 8:30 a.m. (Buffalo)
Cost: 3 months, $87
- Yoga I - Thursday: 7:05 p.m.
Cost: Single class - $16, 3-week Intro to Yoga - $50
- Beginner’s Yoga - Thursday: 6 p.m., Saturday: 11 a.m., Wednesday: 4:15 p.m.
- Intro to Yoga Course - Saturday: 9:30 a.m., Tuesday: 6 p.m.
Cost: 1 class per week for 8 weeks - $120
- Level 1 Yoga - Tuesday: 5:45 p.m., Wednesday: 9 a.m., 5:45 p.m., Saturday: 8 a.m.
Many local gyms also offer yoga classes, so if you have a gym membership, you may want to check if yoga is among their program offerings.