1. Have a Movie NightBuy your mom her favorite movies or ones she's been dying to see. Grab some blankets and enjoy family time together with a movie night. Consider SUGU snacks for a healthier alternative to popcorn and candy.
2. Go BowlingIf your mom has a competitive spirit, get the family together and spend a fun afternoon at your local bowling alley. Come up with creative challenges, such as bowling backwards or with your opposite hand. Whomever wins can pick meals for the rest of the week or what movie your family will watch next. Most bowling alleys have open bowling on Sundays and offer special family rates.
3. Shop at Vidler's 5 & 10 (East Aurora)Take your mom on a trip down memory lane at historic Vidler's. With two floors of merchandise, the shop has something for everyone. Products range from gift items to old-fashioned candy. After shopping, take a walk down Main Street.
4. Have Afternoon Tea (North Tonawanda)Enjoy tea time at The White Linen Tea House. Afternoon tea includes scones, sandwiches, salad and other food items along with a beverage. Hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sundays. Mother's Day is usually busy, so call (716) 731-1685 to make reservations.
5. VolunteerSome people may be lonely on Mother's Day. You and your mom can write letters to residents in nursing homes who might be missing their families. Ask them about their favorite memories of their mothers. You can also volunteer with Meals on Wheels, which delivers meals to elderly people who want to maintain their independence but cannot shop for themselves.
6. Attend a Wine Tasting (Niagara)Take your mom to Wine Trail Blossoms, a wine tasting event on Mother's Day weekend celebrating the 11th anniversary of the Niagara Wine Trail. The trail features 17 wineries that specialize in Pinot Noir, Cabernet, Icewine and Syrah. Tickets for this event will include 3 wine tastings at each participating winery, wine charms and commemorative glasses.
7. Have an At-home Spa DayPamper your mom this Mother's Day by turning your home into her own personal spa. Buy her candles and bubble bath so she can have a relaxing day. You can also give her a massage or an at-home facial or manicure.
8. Visit the Decorators' Show House (East Aurora)See how local decorators have updated 50 rooms in the historic Knox Summer Estate, a 14,400 square foot home built in 1916-1917 at Knox Farm State Park. The redecorated house is part of a fundraiser for local charities and is sponsored by the Buffalo News and the Junior League of Buffalo.
9. Visit the Farm (Clarence)At Kelkenberg Farm, you and your family can enjoy hay rides, pony rides and farm tours. Many of the animals have given birth this spring, so celebrate Mother’s Day with the new moms and their babies. Proceeds from this event will benefit the Food Bank of WNY.
10. Go for a Run (Buffalo)Get active with your mom by participating in the 4-mile Elephant Run or walk around Hoyt Lake in Delaware Park. The run also includes a 1-mile fun run or walk and activities for kids and family members. The Elephant Run benefits The Marcena Lozano Donate Life Scholarship Fund, which awards scholarships to the recipients of organ transplants.
11. Go for a Hike (Jamestown)Take a hike at the Jamestown Audubon Center and Sanctuary, a 600-acre wetland preserve with 5 miles of hiking trails, gardens and educational centers. The Audubon Center will host a Wildflower Walk on Mother's Day, which features spring flowers and a hike on the center's trails.
12. Visit the Carousel Museum (North Tonawanda)Attend the Herschell Carousel Factory Museum's Mother's Day Celebration, which features crafts and activities for moms and kids. The museum also has exhibits and tours that focus on the amusement park industry over the past two centuries. While you're there, make sure to check out the hand-carved carousel animals, photo exhibits of carousel production, music roll machinery, and the museum's two historic carousels.
13. Eat Brunch (Buffalo)Do something different for Mother's Day brunch this year. The Buffalo Zoo will host an up-scale brunch for moms and families that will include animal presentations. Admission is included, so make sure to check out your favorite animal exhibits after the event.
14. Go to an Amusement Park (Grand Island)On Mother’s Day, moms get free admission to Martin's Fantasy Island with the admission of one child. Play miniature golf, check out Kiddie Land, ride the gondola wheel or brave the roller coasters and thrill rides, if you're daring.
15. Go for a DriveSpend quality time together on a mini road trip. Pick a scenic route, such as the 219 or Route 5, and drive. Pack a lunch and pull over for a picnic. Play 20 questions or use the time together just to catch up.
How are you celebrating Mother's Day?