Wearing a tampon should not cause a urinary tract infection, also known as a UTI.
Women are more likely than men to get a UTI , since the urethra is shorter.
To prevent a UTI, you should:
- Void regularly, every 2-3 hours
- Increase fluid intake of water and unsweetened cranberry juice
- Wipe from front to back after urination or defecation
- Wear underwear with a cotton crotch
- Avoid douches and powders
- Void after intercourse
You may prefer to use just pads or a menstrual cup. A menstrual cup is made of plastic or rubber. They are inserted into the vagina and emptied every 8- 12 hours.
– Beth Nicastro, RN
Beth Nicastro, PNP-BC, is a women's health community coordinator/educator. She also sees patients as a nurse practitioner at East Aurora Pediatrics.
If you have a question about your health, click here to ask our experts.