Diabetes Self-Management Education Program
Recognized by the American Association of Diabetes Educators
Education is the key to successfully managing your diabetes. You are the most important member of the
diabetes management team. We will provide you with the knowledge and skills to control your blood sugar and
live a healthy life.
These classes are taught by experienced healthcare professionals, including certified diabetes educators, registered nurses, and registered dietitians.
This 9-hour education program is for anyone who lives with diabetes. It’s especially important for the following: patients who were recently diagnosed with diabetes, have changed treatment or a nutrition plan, or are having difficulty controlling diabetes.
What Will I Learn
- What is Diabetes?
- Nutrition & Meal Planning
- Exercise & Physical Activity
- Self Blood Glucose Monitoring
- Dealing with High & Low Blood Sugars
- Avoiding Long-term Complications
- Foot Care
- Goal Setting & Problem Solving
- Emotional Adjustment & Stress Management
- Healthy Lifestyle Changes
- Your physician will be contacted to complete the required referral form.
- A family member or friend may attend with you at no additional cost.
- If you need specific assistance, please let us know when you register.
- Program sites are handicapped accessible.
Call HealthConnection at (716) 447-6205 for details or to make an appointment.
- Individual Instruction available for:
- Insulin administration
- Home blood glucose testing
- Gestational diabetes
- Continuing Your Journey
- These classes are offered as part of your plan for ongoing self-management support. Participants can work with instructors to develop a follow-up plan for self-management success through opportunities to observe lectures, learn healthy shopping, speak to experts and vendors, and speak to others in the diabetic community. Each class offers a different opportunity to expand your diabetes knowledge and care routine.
Transportation (Mount St. Mary’s Hospital Only)
Patients who have no transportation can make arrangements for “VanGo” transport by calling (716) 298-2370 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Reservations must be made 24 hours in advance of the class.
Cost for this service is $1.00 each way.