Healthy Seven Layer Dip
Instead of high fat refried beans and sour cream, this recipe uses black beans and yogurt to reduce fat and overall calories.Theresa Jackson RD, CSOWM, CDN
- 2 avocados, pitted and peeled
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 4 oz fat free Greek yogurt (gluten free if needed)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 plum tomatoes, diced, plus additional for garnish
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced, or 1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, diced, or, optional
- 1/4 cup grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 scallions, chopped
In a small bowl, mash the avocados. Add the lime juice, salt and black pepper and stir to combine.
In another small bowl, combine yogurt, chili powder and cumin.
Preheat oven to 350°. In a large, shallow ovenproof glass pan, spread the black beans.
Spread the avocado mixture over beans. Spread the yogurt mixture over the avocados. Sprinkle the tomatoes, red onion and
bell pepper (if using) over the avocados. Sprinkle with the cheese. Top with scallions and additional chopped tomato.
Bake for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Yield: 12 servings
Serving Size: about 1/4 cup
* Nutritional information is based on ingredients listed and serving size; any additions or substitutions to ingredients may alter the recipe’s nutritional content
Copyright 2016 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc.. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Review Date: February 26, 2013
Reviewed By: Christina D. Wright, RD, LDN, Nutrition Editor, Baldwin Publishing, Inc.
Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor