Maryland Crab Cakes
Panko provides the crunchy crust which absorbs less oil than traditional breadcrumbs.Theresa Jackson, RD, CDN
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1/8 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 lb jumbo lump crabmeat
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped chives
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp finely grated lime zest
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
Lightly coat a skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and heat over moderate heat. Add red pepper, celery and green onions, and sauté until vegetables are just softened, about 2 minutes.
Stir in ginger, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, hot sauce and evaporated milk. Boil mixture until it is reduced by half, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly.
In a separate bowl, combine crabmeat, chives, parsley, 3/4 cup of panko and lime zest. Combine reduced cream mixture with crabmeat and stir gently. Avoid breaking up crab pieces.
With moistened hands, shape crab mixture (approximately 1/3 cup each) into 8 cakes, about 3 inches wide and 3/4 inch thick. Spread remaining panko on a large plate. Coat crab cakes with panko and transfer to a baking sheet lined with wax paper.
Heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil in a medium nonstick skillet. Add half of the crab cakes and cook until browned and crisp, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter. Repeat with remaining canola oil and crab cakes. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 2 crab cakes
* Nutritional information is based on ingredients listed and serving size; any additions or substitutions to ingredients may alter the recipe’s nutritional content
Copyright 2016 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc.. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Review Date: February 26, 2013
Reviewed By: Christina D. Wright, RD, LDN, Nutrition Editor, Baldwin Publishing, Inc.
Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor