Mini Chicken Nachos
Corn chips will never be the same once you try this healthy recipe for mini chicken tacos. This healthy chicken filling and these tasty toppings work great in standard corn taco shells too.
Game day or taco night won’t be the same once you’ve tried this recipe. Make prep even easier by buying a rotisserie chicken or by cooking your chicken overnight in a crockpot. This recipe in particular is a good one to get the kids involved in: there’s lots of colorful veggies and even pineapple to chop and cut. Kids are more likely to try new foods when they have a hand in making them-just be sure an adult handles the jalepenos and supervises all knife use.Theresa Jackson RD, CSOWM, CDN
- 1 large Spanish onion, sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken stock (gluten free if needed)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 24 baked round corn chips (gluten free if needed)
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chopped ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- 1/2 avocado sliced thin
- 2 radishes sliced thin
- 2 jalapeño peppers sliced thin
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt (gluten free if needed)
- Hot Sauce (optional)
Lightly coat a skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat until hot. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Add garlic, cumin and paprika and stir. Add the shredded chicken and stir. Add the stock. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil. Add cilantro and lime juice and cook for 1 minute.
Remove from the heat and stir well. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes.
Top each chip with a tablespoon of chicken mixture and desired toppings. Serve immediately.
Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: 3 chips
* Nutritional information is based on ingredients listed and serving size; any additions or substitutions to ingredients may alter the recipe’s nutritional content
Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Copyright indicia (© 2007 – 2017 Baldwin Publishing, Inc.). All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® Trademark indicia (® Health eCooking is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc.)
No information provided in any recipe and/or other product or service is a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be interpreted as treatment recommendations. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH PROVIDER WITH ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING A MEDICAL CONDITION.