- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions chopped
- 1 carrot diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 butternut squash peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (gluten free if needed)
- 1/3 cup low fat Greek yogurt (gluten free if needed) optional
- 2 Tbsp roasted pumpkin seeds optional
In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add the onions and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until softened. Add the carrot, celery, butternut squash, thyme, nutmeg, salt and pepper and stir for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until squash is tender. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
Transfer mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. Return to saucepan and reheat over low heat before serving. Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt and sprinkle of pumpkin seeds, if desired.
Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: about 1 cup
* Nutritional information is based on ingredients listed and serving size; any additions or substitutions to ingredients may alter the recipe’s nutritional content
Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Copyright indicia (© 2007 – 2017 Baldwin Publishing, Inc.). All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® Trademark indicia (® Health eCooking is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc.)
No information provided in any recipe and/or other product or service is a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be interpreted as treatment recommendations. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH PROVIDER WITH ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING A MEDICAL CONDITION.