Corn & Bean Salad
“Beans are known as a source of plant-based protein, but did you know they also count as a vegetable?
Different types of beans (like kidney, pinto, and black beans) contain many nutrients including folate, iron, potassium, and calcium. They are also an excellent source of dietary fiber. Though there are many varieties of beans, their nutrient content is quite similar, and can be interchanged in most recipes.
Beans are typically low-cost in the grocery store, and can be used to maximize or even replace more expensive proteins like beef or chicken in recipes.
Some people may find that beans cause a lot of gas and bloating. This is largely due to a specific start found in beans. This starch gets broken down mainly by fermentation in our gut. People who experience increased bloating or gas when they eat beans can try out different types of beans, or eating beans in smaller portions. Rinsing out canned beans of the liquid they are canned in may help as well.”
⏲️ Ready in: 30 mins.
⌛ Prep: 25 mins.
🍽️ Servings: 7 cups
- 2 ears corn, shucked
- 1/4 cup Wegmans Organic Granulated Pure Cane Sugar
- 1/4 cup Wegmans Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Wegmans Vegetable Oil
- 1 Wegmans Organic Red Bell Pepper, cored, seeded, 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup trimmed, 1/4-inch diced Wegmans Organic Celery
- 1 cup peeled, 1/4-inch diced Wegmans Organic Sweet Onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers, cored, seeded, minced (wear gloves when handling)
- 1 can (15.5 oz) Wegmans Black Beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (15.5 oz) Wegmans Black Eyed Peas, drained, rinsed
- Salt to taste
Nutrition information is per serving
Saturated Fat: 1g
Add corn to stockpot of boiling water; blanch 30 sec. Cool; cut kernels from cobs. Set aside.
Combine sugar and vinegar in large microwave-safe bowl. Heat in microwave about 1 min until sugar is dissolved; stir.
Add corn and oil; stir to combine. Add peppers, celery, onion, jalapenos, black beans, and black-eyed peas; toss to combine. Season with salt.
Chef Tip: 2 ears corn can be replaced with 1 1/4 cups frozen corn. Cook per package directions and cool before adding to salad.
Your Grocery List
This healthy recipe was posted in partnership with Wegmans. Simplify your shopping and download the list of ingredients to bring on your next grocery run — or add these items to your cart and check-out online!
* Nutritional information is based on ingredients listed and serving size; any additions or substitutions to ingredients may alter the recipe’s nutritional content
Copyright ©2020. Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. All Rights Reserved. This recipe was posted with permission from Wegmans Food Markets, Inc., however, all special diet claims attributed to this recipe were determined and referenced by Catholic Health.