Crab & Avocado Salad with Berry Vinaigrette
Summer is usually a time to take advantage of all the colorful, fresh foods that are plentiful during this season. This salad provides a beautiful array of color – from the mixed greens, berries, and avocado.
Keep in mind that some dressings can provide extra calories due to the sugar or oil content. Measuring 1 tablespoon to use on this salad would be an excellent way to reduce amount of calories per serving.
Extra mixed greens can be added to your plate at a low calorie cost, while providing additional dietary fiber. Blueberries and raspberries provide a slight sweetness to the salad, and are packed with vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber.
While the crab meat is used in this recipe, other protein options would be just as good, such as cut chicken breast, to provide a lean protein option.
⏲️ Ready in: 1 hr. 50 mins.
🍳 Prep: 50 mins.
🍽️ Servings: 6
- 2 cups Wegmans Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Food You Feel Good About White Granulated Sugar
- 3 medium Food You Feel Good About Cleaned & Cut Peeled Shallots, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped Food You Feel Good About Tarragon leaves
- 1/2 cup Wegmans Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pint fresh raspberries, halve one-half of the pint
- 1 lb. jumbo lump crab meat
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup Wegmans Organic Mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh chives, trimmed, minced
- 2 avocados
- 1 pkg (16 oz) Wegmans Organic Triple Washed Spring Mix
- 1 pint fresh blueberries, for garnish
- 1 container (12 oz) fresh blackberries, for garnish
Nutrition information is per serving
Omega-3 Fats: 220mg
Saturated Fat: 6g
About 1 hour before serving: Add vinegar and sugar to small saucepan on HIGH. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to MED; cook about 8 min to slightly reduce. Chill in fridge until completely cooled.
Add shallots, tarragon, olive oil, pepper, and halved raspberries to bowl. Blend gently; set aside.
Add crab, lemon zest, salt, pepper, mayonnaise, and chives to separate bowl. Fold gently. Set aside. Combine raspberry-shallot and vinegar mixtures to make dressing; set aside. Pit and thinly slice avocados.
Toss greens with dressing (reserve 1/4 of dressing) in large bowl; season with salt and pepper. Portion greens onto 6 plates. Fan avocado on sides; top greens with crab mixture. Garnish with berries; drizzle each portion with about 1 Tbsp reserved dressing.
Your Grocery List
This healthy recipe was posted in partnership with Wegmans. Simplify your shopping and download the list of ingredients to bring on your next grocery run — or add these items to your cart and check-out online!
* Nutritional information is based on ingredients listed and serving size; any additions or substitutions to ingredients may alter the recipe’s nutritional content
Copyright ©2020. Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. All Rights Reserved. This recipe was posted with permission from Wegmans Food Markets, Inc., however, all special diet claims attributed to this recipe were determined and referenced by Catholic Health.