Kenmore Mercy Hospital celebrated its 68th anniversary by honoring the contributions of its founders, the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas. As part of the celebration, a heritage exhibit that traces major milestones of the Sisters and the northtown hospital was dedicated on October 7, 2019.
From the opening of the first House of Mercy on September 24, 1827, to the dedication of Kenmore Mercy on October 7, 1951, the heritage exhibit represents a shared legacy of ministry dating back two centuries.
Located on the second floor, the display spans across the rotunda outside the hospital’s chapel and features artifacts, photographs of early contributors, and a timeline of the progressive growth of Kenmore Mercy.
There is also a monitor for a digitally interactive component that includes interviews with key players in the hospital history, as well as additional photos and newspaper clippings.
In addition, since history never ceases, this is a living exhibit that will continue to expand over the years.
Kenmore Mercy Hospital: Past & Present
“All of the tremendous accomplishments at Kenmore Mercy Hospital would not have been possible without the vision of those who have come before us,” said Walt Ludwig, hospital president. “The heritage exhibit provides a way to recognize the amazing work that was done here by those before us and the extensive network of associates, physicians, and volunteers today who provide skilled and compassionate care,” Ludwig added.
The hospital is grateful to all the people, past and present, who helped shape its future and played a role in carrying out the mission of Catherine McAuley and the Sisters of Mercy for generations of patients. Of special note is longtime contributor, the Kenneth L. and Katherine G. Koessler Family Foundation, which provided a gift to make the heritage exhibit possible.
Kenmore Mercy Hospital delivered 821 babies and treated 3,450 patients during its first year of operation. Today, as part of Catholic Health, it is a 184-bed, not-for-profit hospital that is nationally recognized for its safety ratings, nursing excellence, and specialty care. Last year, nearly 8,000 patients were admitted and more than 37,800 were treated at the hospital’s emergency department.