Menopause may be the start of a new phase in life, but it can also bring a host of uncomfortable and unwanted symptoms, from hot flashes and night sweats to sleep problems and weight gain. Studies show that the tips below can naturally help address some of the symptoms you may face at this time in your life.
You’ll sleep better, be less irritable and experience fewer mood swings and hot flashes when you decrease the stress in your life.
- Try tai chi, massage or a leisurely bath.
- Paced respiration is a technique that has shown the most promise in reducing hot flashes. It involves slow, controlled breathing from the diaphragm when a hot flash begins.
- Yoga may also help ease hot flashes and night sweats.
To Find an OBGYN Near You
Call (716) 923-7152
To Find an OBGYN Near You Call
Eat a Well-Rounded Diet
Nourishing foods can help you shed pounds and ease mood swings by keeping blood sugar levels balanced. Choose plenty of:
- Veggies, fruits, beans/legumes and whole grains.
- Lean proteins such as fish, chicken, turkey, small amounts of lean red meat, tofu, eggs and low-fat dairy.
- Healthy fats such as avocados, olive oil, nuts, seeds and fatty fish.
Get Regular Exercise
Exercise can reduce stress and depression, improve sleep, ease joint stiffness, keep bones strong and help you maintain a healthy weight.
- Include weight-bearing cardio exercise such as walking, jogging or dancing.
- For strength, flexibility and maintenance of muscle tone and bone health, aim to do strength training at least twice a week.
Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Copyright indicia (© 2007 – 2017 Baldwin Publishing, Inc.). All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® Trademark indicia (® Health eCooking is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc.)
No information provided in any recipe and/or other product or service is a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be interpreted as treatment recommendations. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH PROVIDER WITH ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING A MEDICAL CONDITION.