Turkey & Veggie on 7-Grain Bread
I am often asked about bread products because labels can be confusing. Look for a product with the first ingredient on the label that uses the word “whole”. This ensures that you are getting all the beneficial nutrients in unrefined grain foods: the vitamins and minerals, fibers, and oils.
If you choose a grain made with refined flours, it’s been stripped of those nutrients, although they may be fortified back in, along with other additives.
If you’re not a bread-eater at all, replacing bread, tortillas, and wraps with leafy greens is an easy way to reduce the amount of simple carbs in any recipe, and provides added veggie servings for fiber, as well as important vitamins and minerals. Leafy greens like swiss chard are known to be superfoods – those with such great health benefits that more of us should strive to eat them, regardless of whether we have diabetes or another chronic disease, are of normal weight or overweight, young or old. Greens are good sources of vitamins A, C, E, and K, as well as iron, calcium, and potassium.
⏲️ Ready in: 15 mins.
🍳 Prep: 15 mins.
🍽️ Yield: 4 servings
- 8 slices (about 1/2-inch each) Wegmans 7-Grain Sourdough Loaf
- 4 tsp Wegmans Honey Mustard, divided
- 1/2 lb Wegmans 98% Fat Free Turkey Breast (Deli Dept)
- 1 container (5 oz) Wegmans Organic Spring Mix, divided
- 2 whole Food You Feel Good About Roasted Red Peppers, thinly sliced into strips
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 slices (about 3 oz) Wegmans Thin Sliced Muenster Cheese, halved (Dairy Dept)
Nutrition information is per serving
Saturated Fat: 4g
Spread four slices of bread with 1 tsp honey mustard.
Top each slice with 4 slices turkey; layer greens, pepper strips, and cucumber slices on turkey. Season with pepper.
Finish with 2 half-slices cheese then bread slice.
Your Grocery List
This healthy recipe was posted in partnership with Wegmans. Simplify your shopping and download the list of ingredients to bring on your next grocery run — or add these items to your cart and check-out online!
* Nutritional information is based on ingredients listed and serving size; any additions or substitutions to ingredients may alter the recipe’s nutritional content
Copyright ©2020. Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. All Rights Reserved. This recipe was posted with permission from Wegmans Food Markets, Inc., however, all special diet claims attributed to this recipe were determined and referenced by Catholic Health.