Whole Grain Cherry Almond Cookies
“Not healthy per se, but these cookies are simple when it comes to ingredients. They are lower in fat and calories than many store-bought or bakery cookies that we find in abundance during the holidays. Balance is important, and choosing treats within our individual diet and health goals is important for us all. Should you indulge, I’d recommend keeping your portion size to one or two cookies.”
⏲️ Ready in: 1 hour
? Prep: 1 hour
?️ Servings: 24 cookies
- 1 1/4 cup Wegmans unbleached white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup Wegmans organic milled flax seeds
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 pkg (8 oz) almond paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup Wegmans unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup Wegmans dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 Wegmans large egg
- 1 tsp Wegmans pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups Wegmans sweetened dried cherries
- 1 cup Wegmans slivered almonds, toasted
Nutrition information is per serving
Added Sugar: 11g
Saturated Fat: 3g
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine flour, flaxseed and baking soda in a small bowl. Set aside.
Beat almond paste in large mixing bowl, gradually adding water until well-blended and smooth. Add butter and dark brown sugar; mix until creamy. Add egg and vanilla; mix until combined. Gradually beat in flour mixture until nearly combined. Add dried cherries and almonds; stir until evenly distributed.
Drop rounded Tbsp of dough onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 min until done; centers will be soft and edges very light brown.
Let cookies rest 1-2 min on baking sheet before transferring to cooling rack.
Your Grocery List
This healthy recipe was posted in partnership with Wegmans. Simplify your shopping and download the list of ingredients to bring on your next grocery run — or add these items to your cart and check-out online!
* Nutritional information is based on ingredients listed and serving size; any additions or substitutions to ingredients may alter the recipe’s nutritional content
Copyright ©2020. Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. All Rights Reserved. This recipe was posted with permission from Wegmans Food Markets, Inc., however, all special diet claims attributed to this recipe were determined and referenced by Catholic Health.